Friday, February 29, 2008

More Social Conservatism By The Back Door

[Update 29/2/08]
Via Canadian Cynic, we learn that the wingnuts are bragging that this is their accomplishment.

Charles McVety, president of the Canada Family Action Coalition, said his lobbying efforts included discussions with Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day and Justice Minister Rob Nicholson, and "numerous" meetings with officials in the Prime Minister's Office.

"We're thankful that someone's finally listening," he said yesterday. "It's fitting with conservative values, and I think that's why Canadians voted for a Conservative government."


McVety...McVety ... that name's familiar... oh yes this would be the same Charles McVety that popped up in the Walrus article entitled "Harper and the Theocons" in October 2006.

I said it last election, and I stand by my statement - Harper has an agenda that he doesn't dare talk about, but he's enacting.
[/Update]

So, our elected officials now think themselves the ultimate arbiters of good art?

In 2006, the HarperCon$ signalled that they were going to impose their unique brand of social conservatism by the back door - by fiat rather than by open, honest policy that can be debated.

What's next? I have to show them gym and grocery receipts to demonstrate that I'm doing my bit to stay healthy before medicare dollars will apply to my case? Or perhaps I'll be expected to show my moral purity before they'll fund treatment of something.

No comments:

Collective Punishment

Ever since Pierre Poilievre opened his mouth and declared that Trans Women need to be banned from washrooms and locker rooms , there's b...