Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Oh Brother ...

I'm amazed by the number of "anonymous" comments I'm receiving that appear to be coming from people bound and determined to save me (and my readers) from my unrepentant, sinful ways.

Back here, anonymous author writes:

I read this and also your new post. Let's end it at this: We cannot both be right.

am confident in God's Word and therefore I warn you: A day is coming when we both will face the God that you do not believe in -- the one who has revealed His will in the pages of the Bible. As for me, I have hope -- I enjoy an expectation based on God's promise, not on my performance -- that I will be saved from eternal condemnation (which based on my record, I would deserve) because I have confessed the name of Jesus, I have acknowledged as evil my sins and my life has been transformed, and I have been baptized so that my own wicked sins are washed clean in Jesus Christ.

You and many of your readers are unrepentant, embracing behavior that your Creator has told you is detestable. That is not my judgment, but His. If I hated you, I'd let you face that day without a warning. But I would wish hell upon no man.

The Bible says "It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." So I urge you to consider: What if you are wrong?


If I'm that horrendously wrong, I guess I'll worry about it then. In the meantime, you have your idea of what Christianity is (or should be), and I have my own sense of faith. That's one of the beautiful things about living in a nation that guarantees freedom of religion - we don't _have_ to agree.

If arguing against discrimination, against the treatment that is foisted upon "sinners" by those who are so religiously devout to be absolutely sure that They KNOW God's Will makes me an "unrepentant sinner", then so be it.

In the meantime, I'll do my part on this world to make a few people's lives a little less dark by treating them like human beings, even when the holier-than-thou crowd chooses to judge them wanting.

If some unknowable being in some unknowable afterlife chooses to deem that to have been a terrible thing to do, I'll worry about it when I get there. I'd prefer to deal with the here and now with a little more compassion, and a lot less judgment.

Remember, there is an underlying ethic in Christian scripture - "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Would you like to be fired and marginalized as so-called "christians" have done to Julie Nemecek?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" OR "Do unto others before they don unto you"?

Trans Athletes ...

So, wayyyy back in 2021, I wrote a piece pointing out that a lot of the arguments about whether transgender athletes (and particularly trans...