Sunday, August 27, 2006

On Michael Ignatieff

The Globe and Mail has possibly the most detailed biography piece on Michael Ignatieff that I've seen to date. On Being Michael Ignatieff is a huge article (warning - it took me the better part of an hour to chew through it on paper - it's a "print and read" piece - don't skim it on your screen.

It's rare that one candidate for a party leadership can draw so much attention, but then it's equally rare for a candidate to be as enigmatic and complex as Ignatieff to appear on the scene.

Personally, I can't make up my mind about Ignatieff. On one hand, he's made some statements about foreign policy that are just a little to cozy with current American ethos to make me feel comfortable; on the other hand, he's put forward some ideas that are very long range, and speak to this being a candidate that is able to articulate a vision for Canada that is bigger than some narrow ideology.

Other candidates, such as Gerard Kennedy sound a little closer to my own personal thoughts (at times) - the question is whether Ignatieff is able to adjust his vision to something that most Canadians can feel comfortable with.

I urge you to read the article carefully - it may not help you make up your mind about Ignatieff, but it will certainly tell you a great deal about the man and what makes him tick.

No comments:

Trans Athletes ...

So, wayyyy back in 2021, I wrote a piece pointing out that a lot of the arguments about whether transgender athletes (and particularly trans...