Wednesday, February 15, 2006

When Freedoms Ignore Repsonsibility

I've said it before, and I'll no doubt say it again. Every right guaranteed in the Charter of Rights in Canada brings with it a responsibility to exercise that right responsibly.

Back here, I discuss my disgust with Ezra Levant's publication of the now infamous Danish cartoons.

Today, we learn that another of Western Standard's writers gets the magazine into yet more hot water, this time over printing comments made - allegedly - by Klein's advisors about his wife.

As Licia Corbella points out, there's something called editorial judgement that needs to be exercised. While I'm all in favour of "free speech", I can't say that I'm overly impressed with Levant's exercise of his rights lately. Although he hasn't actually done anything criminal, he certainly has stepped over the bounds of what I politely call "good taste".

His publication has become, like its ideological predecessor "Alberta Report", a mouthpiece for button pushing pseudo-journalism that is design not to inform and provoke discussion, but rather to inflame situations.

No comments:

Collective Punishment

Ever since Pierre Poilievre opened his mouth and declared that Trans Women need to be banned from washrooms and locker rooms , there's b...