Monday, January 09, 2006

The Great Debate

If the bits I heard of the debate were anything to go by, I'd say that Martin blew this debate more or less sideways.

Martin needed to score some serious points - most of what I heard sounded pretty mushy, and substantially defensive.

He tried to come off as the great defender of civil rights, but to me it sounded flat. There were one or two good swings taken, but mostly at Duceppe - and it's not Duceppe that Martin needs to paint in a new light.

*sigh*

- more analysis tomorrow - when I feel like writing, and the sandpaper irritation of listening to Harper's nasal drone has passed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martin can't throw too much dirt because people will then realize how much dirt he actually has on his OWN hands. He's likely to try to play the goodguy and hope that people forget that the Liberals stole from our very pockets in the Adscam scandal and made some bad decisions in a lot of other cases (the least of which is the doomed gun registry which was ill-fated from the get-go).
It's unfortunate that Harper has that "nasal voice" in that he doesn't exhume the appearance of a charismatic leader, although his leadership potential is there. I think many people are likely to vote on appearance and thereby pass on voting in a good leader, and choose rather a smooth talking and double faced Martin.
In this election, it boils down to this: The Liberals are crooks, the NDP are borderline communists, and the Bloc are Seperatists. The only logical choice is Conservative (unless you enjoy being robbed by your own elected leaders).

Well, that's my rant. Thanks for listening.

MgS said...

Mike -

I view Harper as being at least as disingenuous as Martin.

Actions speak far louder than words, and Harper's words this election are interestingly contradictory to what he has said in the past.

Further, the party has done little to distance itself from the extreme elements of its Reform/Alliance roots, which makes me even more uneasy about the current campaign.

See:

First thing in the morning...

and here:

Private Health Care

For some clarification on my unease.

I know the Liberals are corrupt, but there's elements to the CPC that I have yet to feel comfortable are being moderated - and I don't believe that Harper has changed his philosophical spots either.

The Cass Review and the WPATH SOC

The Cass Review draws some astonishing conclusions about the WPATH Standards of Care (SOC) . More or less, the basic upshot of the Cass Rev...