Tuesday, June 15, 2004

The Leaders Debacle - er - Debate Awards

I hadn't planned on writing this as the debate was going on, but I just cannot help but find myself thinking that this debate is proving most fascinating. Each of the leaders is putting forth their opinions most forcefully, and I find myself drawing not so much conclusions as impressions of each of the leaders.

The Debate Awards

Gilles Duceppe - The Honest Schoolboy Award

I hate to say it, but Duceppe actually impressed me. Although his positions and policy questions revolved almost exclusively around Quebec, he raised a lot of very salient points, and actually managed to bring both Harper or Martin to task on some important points. For a man whose primary purpose in life is to remove Quebec from Confederation, I think Duceppe is playing a remarkably valuable role in the discourse over the future governance of Canada.

Jack Layton - The Pierre Trudeau Visionary Award

Of all of the leaders speaking, Jack Layton was the only leader that expressed a vision of Canada that went beyond the here and now issues. Jack Layton actually has a vision for this Country. It is a vision couched in the 'greening' of Canada, and revolves around solving some of Canada's social problems with environmentally conscious solutions. I am both impressed and somewhat surprised by how well Layton managed to present himself. I think he has some work ahead of him to grow into the statesman that this country has been crying out for ever since John Turner took the reigns of power. I wish him luck.

Stephen Harper - The 'Deek Of The Week' Award

Listening to Stephen Harper is like watching a hockey player skating around the opposition. At no time did Harper actually answer anything directly. On social issues, he continues to dodge around the questions - attempting to evade by not answering. On issues of fiscal policy, Harper's modified Reaganomics strike me as a recipe for huge debt and deficit in the future. He did an amazing job of attempting to avoid that conversation, but he left me scratching my head - his evasive answers really didn't leave me feeling any more comfortable with his position. His ideas on foreign affairs and military spending would turn us into an impoverished 51st state at the beck and call of Washington. A thought that truly makes me cringe.

Paul Martin - The Royal Lifesaving Award

Martin shocked me. For someone who spent the last three weeks drowning while looking for a focus in the campaign, he came out swinging. He might actually have found his "sea legs" in the debate. Whether or not he can turn around sagging Liberal fortunes in the next two weeks is perhaps another conversation. While I don't _believe_ everything he says, (I don't typically take any politician a face value) I have to give Mr. Martin credit for doing a good job of rebutting the swings that each of the other leaders took at him.

The outcome of this debate? Well, this voter is still undecided - I may remain that way until I step into the voting booth. Right now, the Liberal past record worries me - it doesn't bode well for how faithfully they will carry out their promises. I've always been cool towards Mr. Harper, and he has yet to do anything to convince me that he's being honest when he speaks - there always seems to be an unsaid evasiveness. I can't vote for Duceppe - there's no such thing as a Bloc candidate outside of Quebec. Jack Layton has at least got a vision that goes beyond the immediate 'here and now'. If the NDP can refine itself over the next few years, they may be able to present a real alternative under Jack Layton.

No comments:

The Cass Review and the WPATH SOC

The Cass Review draws some astonishing conclusions about the WPATH Standards of Care (SOC) . More or less, the basic upshot of the Cass Rev...